As most people might have be known that Google was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin. But we seldom think about the spark that emerged in Page that he itself might not have imagined would turn into a trillion-dollar company. To be forthright, its not just the spark, but the blaze it kindled and the sacrifices it demanded were all met out logically and inspiringly by Larry, making him the eleventh Richest Person in the world, years after.
Today’s blog deals out, how Larry Page piloted the Google and its proceedings!
Points on LARRY PAGE & Google:
- Larry Page was born on March 26, 1973 in Lansing, Michigan, U.S to Carl Victor Page Sr, PhD in Computer Science from University of Michigan and Gloria, instructor in Computer Programming from Lyman Briggs College.
- Being brought up in a mess of computers, technology, science and magazines, Larry was found interested to work on it at early ages. He was an avid reader of magazines of tech and science topics. He was handed with first generation personal computer which his parents left behind, to play with the stuff lying around at age six.
- Larry pursued Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering in University of Michigan before heading to Stansford University for a Master of Science in Computer Science.
- While in Michigan University, Larry sought out things to come with creations like inkjet printer and inkjet cartridges that would be using less drops of inks and built all electronics and mechanics to drive it. He also was a member of University’s Solar car team and once proposed a business model for a company to build music synthesizer using software.
- Page at Stansford University was in search of dissertation theme and the time was the advent of world wide web. Page desired to decode the world wide web and its properties, link structure as a graph to understand. While doing so, he found the problem of finding which web pages linked to a given page, considering the number and nature of such backlinks as a valuable information to that page.
- Sorting out the problem, he decided to interlink the pages and connect it to a common search engine, for easy accessibility. During this dissertation, Sergey Brin, the other co-founder of Google, was in the track of searching themes; since he couldn’t find a quality project, being a polymath. Brin had a call to join Page’s theme, which he considered exciting and challenging. Both Started to work on and published the thesis, “The Anatomy of a Large Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine”. It was then the most downloaded scientific documents in internet.
BackRub is written in Java and Python and runs on several Sun Ultras and Intel Pentiums running Linux. The primary database is kept on a Sun Ultra series II with 28GB of disk. Scott Hassan and Alan Steremberg have provided a great deal of very talented implementation help. Sergey Brin has also been very involved and deserves many thanks.”— Larry Page
- The pair worked on a project too, named, ‘BackRub’. The idea of search engine actuated to develop an algorithm, that interlinks each web page with a certain search engine, turned out to be the “PageRank”, Google Search’s algorithm.
- Initially, they hand-worked the project in Page’s dormitory room and made Brin’s dorm room as an office and programming center. They worked on HTML skills and created a search page for users, at first within Stansford. The search page begun to reach to number of users and was availed to internet users in August 1996, the first version of Google.
“The first step may seem a formidable upstream; But never forget that the downstream would be in superyacht!”
- In 1997, BackRub described the www, contained 75.2306 Million HTML URLs and 207.022 gigabytes of downloads as mentioned. By mid-1998, the BackRub had 10,000 searches a day, and hyped the pair to work on more.
- As was increasing users each day, it demanded additional servers to facilitate. Soliciting funds from all possible means, the pair rent the garage in Menlo Park. Fortunately, Sun microsystems co-founder handed a check of $100,000 to the pair. Page recalled, “We had nowhere to deposit the prodigious money, for two weeks”. The pair incorporated ‘Google’, with the domain “googol”, a mathematical number meaning ‘one followed by one-hundred zeroes’, representing the vast links of internet. Thus, ‘Google’ was first Born, officially. Page sat on CEO and Brin, the President of Google.
- The company had a subito upshot and by 2000, google indexed 1 billion internet URLs. Page himself recalled as a harsh and intense arguer with Brin at these days, due to loads of works. But, thankful to Brin for his involvement and friendliness, he uttered.
- Page was chafed of seeing the un-engineered Project Managers, guiding engineered workers. He was unsustainable to that point, which made his managers or directors into disgruntlement. But was constantly pushing the engineers to work on lags and searches of Google.
“Leadership is not about self-working; Its about making others to work effectively for a self-motive”
- When Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers and Sequoia Capital invested $50 Million on google in March 2001, Page was pressured to replace Eric Schmidt as CEO which he took amenable. Google was then initialised its IPO on August 2004, under Schmidt’s leadership. The event made Page, a billionaire in his thirty.
- Page in 2005, was passionate about Android and acquired it for $50 Million. He had amounts of time with android CEO and co-founder Andy Rubin. G1, a mobile launched by T-mobile was the first to incorporate android in hands in 2008.
- Page was again upheld to CEO in April, 2011. Until then, Page, who had been Product Development head, added more than a dozen of companies to Google, mainly includes Youtube, Admob and DoubleClick.
- Page was passionately caring about the designs of Google and Android and also in other hand led the acquisitions. Motorola becomes the highest paid acquisition of Google at $12.5 Billion and later sold it for $2.9 Billion. To Page, the acquisition was to safeguard the android patents from Apple Inc., and Microsoft.
- Page, then organized Alphabet Inc., a parent holding for Google, to foster its acquisitions. He made Sundar Pichai, the new CEO of Google in 2015 and himself, CEO of Alphabet Inc.. Later in 2019 December, he stepped down and had Sundar Pichai to serve as Alphabet’s CEO too.
- Alphabet and Google had acquired more than 200 companies well back at 2016. Its latest acquisition includes Fitbit for $2.1 Billion. Google is far more-greater than it seems.
- Page was a musical lover, flute and saxophone player saying, “Music led to the high-speed legacy of Google to me, I think”. Music made him to tackle the impatience and obsession with speed in computing. He also had courses on saxophone, while in high school.
- Page married Lucinda Southworth in 2007 and the couple has two children, one in 2009 and in 2011.
- Larry Page was eventually a nature-lover. In fact, he bought the buildings and holdings around his 9000 square-feet home of $7.95 Million in Palo Alto and deconstructed all buildings to make a room for large ‘Ecohouse’. Page also purchased a 49-meter superyacht ‘Senses’ for $45 Million.
- Larry was infected with an autoimmune vocal cord disease, ‘Hashimoto’s thyroiditis’ that paralyzed his vocal cords. While being treated for the disease, he offered $20 million donation for vocal-cord nerve function research program.
- Larry had received many honors as “Most Influential Businessperson” and Marconi Foundation prize, etc. All the wealth, credits and acquisitions of Google and Alphabet greatly contribute to the honors of Larry Page and his thinking.